The Museo de Artes Decorativas (Museum of Decorative Arts) is a work of art in its own right. The site is the original residence of María Luisa Gómez Mena, a wealthy patron of Cuban artists. Built in 1927, the sumptuous, French Renaissance-inspired mansion was designed by French architects P. Virad and M. Destugué. The residence was claimed by the Cuban government in 1964 and became what is known as today – the Museum of Decorative Arts.
The museum houses close to 35,000 varied pieces, including clothing, decorations and sculptures from the times of Louis XV, Louis XVI and Napoleon III as well as Chinese artworks from the 18th and 19th centuries.
Highlights are Louis XV period furniture, tapestries, paintings, a Regency-style dining room and paintings by Hubert Robert.
Address: Calle 17 Nro. 502 esquina a D, Vedado, La Habana, Cuba